So now that you have created your marketing message, it is time to give it an honest critique and see how you did.
You should start by reviewing it yourself using the rater tool below. You can click on the link below to complete the questionnaire and one you submit your answers, you will receive your custom report that will provide you with valuable feedback you can use to evaluate your message.
After you have had the opportunity to make some changes you can reach out to other people for their feedback. It is always helpful to get other points of view; however, don’t get caught up in trying to make your marketing promise “perfect”. You should share this rater with at least 5-10 other people including new leads, customers, sales prospects, trusted colleagues, and good friends that will really tell you what they think then incorporate where there are commonalities. You can use the “Marketing Message Survey” below to solicit feedback from others. You can provide them with a hard copy of this document, send the document via email or you can also use various survey tools such as survey monkey to collect this data.
After this process is complete, you will have all the information you need to assess and edit your marketing message so that you are equipped for some strategic networking. You will be able to use this message in many ways including:
- To develop your elevator “promise” so you have a more personal message.
- To share your unique value proposition on your website or resume.
- To use on your social media profiles to differentiate you from others.
- To demonstrate your distinctive product and/or service features on your marketing collateral.
- To showcase your skillset when you are networking and demonstrate how you add value for an employer.
- To provide a fresh perspective to your public relations outreach.
By having a more personal, distinctive message, you will feel more confident in networking situations and you will continue to differentiate you and your company from your competitors.
Exercise: Evaluate Your Marketing Message
Worksheet: Marketing Message Survey